It's coming down to the wire and despite Fulham winning last night, if we win today we will be only three points behind them with two games to go. It might not seem likely, but it is possible. And it all comes down to winning.
And away to Ipswich is a good place to be. It's a nice part of the world, with good beer and good local food. Why not enjoy the day and hope for the three points. And I don't wand to jinx anything, but wouldn't you rather Fulham were automatically promoted over Cardiff?
Before the match though, it's worth pointing out that the manager has valued Jack Grealish, if reports are true it's £40mn. Why do that?
Okay, there is something about Jack, I wrote about it the other day but why go out and name a price. And I know Jack is a Villa fan and we live in the hope that that is the reason he'll stay, but if a Club comes in and entices him, he'll leave, because that's why the game is these days.
But why put it at £40mn, why not put it at £60mn? Why even talk about it now, why not just wait until the season is actually over?
Match facts from the BBC
- Ipswich are winless in six home matches against Villa in all competitions (D2 L4), with the previous two games ending goalless.
- Villa have won eight of their last 11 games against the Tractor Boys in all competitions (D2 L1).
- Steve Bruce, meanwhile, has won each of his last three visits to Portman Road in all competitions.
- Ipswich Town have landed just 137 shots on target in the Championship this season, the third fewest after Bolton (135) and Burton (106).
- Jack Grealish has been directly involved in a goal in each of his last three appearances, scoring two and assisting one.
- After winning consecutive away games against Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland, Villa are without a win in their last three on the road (D1 L2).
Updates and team news
So, with that it's time for me to get up out of bed, eat some breakfast and get ready for the match. I'm at a ski resort in Sweden and Aston Villa are on TV, so I'll be drinking an imported beer and eating chicken wings while watching what I hope will be an away win.
But I'll also not be that sad with the play-offs and if Steve Bruce gets Aston Villa promoted, it will be nice to read all the comments.